[LAU] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.1 - The Bravo Yankee return!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Oct 6 10:11:09 UTC 2011

 @Hartmut Noack
 (http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-audio-users/msg80491.html)

> On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 17:40:00 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>> On 10/05/2011 11:36 AM, Renato wrote:

>>> what exactly do these two mean?

>> previously on qtractor, each clip had a complete independent data
>> object (buffer) from each other. now the clip data buffer is shared
>> for all clips in a track that refer to the same filename, offset and
>> length.
>>
>> for audio clips this can be a huge resource optimization. for midi
>> clips it also means that editing or changing events on one of the
>> "linked" clips will also affect all the others that refer to the
>> same
>> midi sequence (ie. same midi file, channel, offset and length, of
>> course).
>>
>> in practice, it means that all copy&paste-repeated clips will refer
>> to very same internal data buffer/sequence. you change one, you'll
>> change all. got that?
>>
> Nice nice and useful too but then again.... what if I copy/paste a
> drum-clip and want to add a crash-hit to it whithout having that
> crash
> on every clip the copy has derived from? Is there some option such as
> "right-klick/make new individual clip from copy"?

 you'll have to pick the clip in question, the one you wish to unlink or
 detach, and from the midi editor window (aka. piano-roll) you should
 save it with a brand new midi filename (ie. File/Save As...)

 maybe this could go as an "one-click" procedure, like you suggest, as a
 new clip context-menu entry: "Unlink" or "Detach" or whatever:). noted.

 cheers

 ps. it's sad i'm not receiving any posts from
 linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org, although the ones i send to seem
 to get through alright to the list (cf.
 http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-audio-users/); i've just confirmed
 that 198.82.152.114 is currently blacklisted on dnsbl.sorbs.net just by
 reading my postfix maillog. maybe this is affecting other users as bad,
 so i'll ask for you to reply to my own address too (ie. reply all). hyu.
--
 rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
 rncbc at rncbc.org