[LAU] hifi stereo supporting linux filesystem?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Oct 9 13:15:03 UTC 2011

Hi Frederico,

On 10/09/2011 11:38 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it's the first time I write in this mailing list and I hope I'm not OT.
> I'm looking for a hifi stereo system with USB support. I mean: I want to
> be able to plug an external USB hard disk, browse the folders and choose
> the files I want to listen to.
>
> I've found some products (by Cambridge Audio) that support all the
> formats I use, i.e. Ogg and Flac.
> But it seems that the only supported filesystem is FAT32.
> I wonder if you know some product which support some more advanced
> filesystem. Hopefully ext2/3/4, but even NTFS would be maybe better than
> FAT32.
>
> FAT32 is slow and doesn't support some characters in the file name. I
> know I'll have some problems copying my huge collection of files in a
> FAT32 filesystem.
>
> Any hint is appreciated.
> Thanks!
>
> Federico

I suppose you're looking for an off-the-shelf product, however what you
wish to accomplish is easily done by just taking an old laptop (or
similar) with a good audio-interface and simply install GNU/Linux.

There's quite a few OOTB "media-center" distributions:
  http://www.mythbuntu.org/
  http://www.geexbox.org/

Doings so should not take longer than finding a product that does what
you want :-)

An other approach is to simply get away with FAT32 and use tags to store
the information [instead of/in addition to] the file-name..

If your music is properly sorted in folder/filename, you can script
tagging or use easytag for mass-reassignments of your collection.

2c,
robin