[LAU] How bad is mp3/ogg

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 21:31:32 UTC 2011

> I tend to think, that such reservations have to do with the way, music is
> made fit for the market. If a recording is really "HiFi" in the sense of the
> word, it does not only spoil the expectations of most listeners, it is hard
> to reproduce with average equipment also. Thus such recordings are no
> products that can be sold to everybody easily.

Indeed, 'video' and 'photo-graphs' are also utterly inadequate as
compared to the original experience and should be shunned.  Indeed,
the printed word itself is but a pale shadow of the original unspoken
idea.

Personally I find life is far richer with all of the above.  I never
fail to be impressed at the lengths snobbery goes toward rationalizing
itself (rhetorical comment, not actually aimed at you Hartmut).

On a lighter note:

> Some younger drummers and guitar-players I recorded have made a long
> face when they heard their playing for the first time reproduced by my
> nearfield-monitors. They simply where disappointed, that my 8"-Speakers
> did not sound "the same as powerful" as their 4x12"-stack or their 24"
> bass-drum. Its physics -- baby ;-)

Hmph, you should easily be able to get more wattage out of a proper
driver than a bass drum.  That's engineering, Sir.

(IMHBCO, it's generally not the inadequacy of the recording but the
fact that the recoding does not bundle along the original context of
the performance. The context carries the greater power).

Monty