[LAU] How bad is mp3/ogg

Egor Sanin egor.sanin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:53:03 UTC 2011

A little OT, but...

> Indeed, 'video' and 'photo-graphs' are also utterly inadequate as
> compared to the original experience and should be shunned.  Indeed,
> the printed word itself is but a pale shadow of the original unspoken
> idea.
I disagree with this because it's comparing apples and oranges.
Video, photographs and recordings of music are self-contained works of
art which I believe can have no less value than the "original."
By the above rational, a musician performing a piece is just a "pale
shadow" compared to the original idea of the composer.  This discounts
interpretation and the creative genius of the musician, just like the
above discounts the creative genius of the photographer or
cinematographer.

And the printed word is something that got the human race to the age
where I can type this on a piece of plastic in Canada, and you can
read this on a screen somewhere half the world away a few seconds
later, I doubt unspoken ideas could be sufficiently preserved and
recreated to provide such progress without them being "recorded" in
some way or another.

> Personally I find life is far richer with all of the above.
Yes indeed!