[LAU] Robin Gareus' Ninjam jack transport fix

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Oct 13 16:07:10 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 02:49 PM, Andrew C wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Dunno how many people use Ninjam, but to any that do (and are using
> Tobias Gehrig's/Robin Gareus' patches to the linux version),

The original patch is from Torben Hohn. I only fixed a float-double
conversion bug in there.

> are you
> experiencing the jack transport timer reseting itself to 0:00:000 when
> an interval finishes or is my jack version (0.120.1) going crazy?

I've not started ninjam for ages.. so no.

The timebase_callback in ninjam/audiostream_jack.cpp is pretty much a
kludge. It is known to not work correctly with slow-sync clients.
AFAIK hydrogen uses 'JackTransportStarting' and ninjam will not properly
sync with it.

> Downside to this is that hydrogen starts sounding out of time with the
> metronome.

Did you [try to] disable the "jack-transport master" setting in
hydrogen? IIRC ninjam needs to become jack-transport master for things
to work.

jack > 0.120 features a new API for calculating/compensating latency.
ninjam does not compensate for any latencies, but hydrogen may. - If
that is the case, you should experience a fixed delay.

Sorry no real solution. I suppose rewriting the ninjam-jack code is the
only way to fix this.

robin