[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 22:26:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM, James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wondered if people could give me a list of their favorite DSP
> plugins for "normal" studio recording type jobs.
>
> I guess I would need a parametric EQ, compressor and reverb.. Anything
> else?
>
> Whenever I have tried to mix a live recording before, I have always
> got lost in the spectacular array of different plugins - but quite
> often never found one that quite fits the bill. So I'm wondering if I
> have everything I need installed at the moment - and what the number 1
> go-to effects are for people here?

I use MixBus for all of my mixing these days and use the built-in Harrison
compression and limiting, as needed, and occasionally some EQ, as well as
various LADSPA/LV2 FX like flanger or delay. And I swear by the IR
convolution reverb plugin, it just sounds fantastic for symphonic music.

I tend not to use a lot of compression on tracks for pre-mastering & mixing,
maybe a little on a bass line or vocal. For symphonic music, though, I never
use compression on any individual tracks and try to mix those tracks with as
little processing as possible (and reverbs always on busses). Compression
can kill the natural dynamics and timbre of an orchestra.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it, it