[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 19 22:37:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 19:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:
> Message: 21
> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:09:05 +0100
> From: Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:39:32 +0200
> Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/18/2011 07:45 PM, S. Massy wrote:
> > > - Finally, the only thing which seems to have been left out by
> others is
> > >    the TAP scaling limiter which is great for final limiting if
> handled
> > >    gently.
> > >

> > Oh yeah true! Most of the time the LADSPA Fast Look Ahead Limiter
> is
> > sitting in my Master bus.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> Forgot about that one! I use it quite a lot as a final 'haircut'.
> Yoshimi can
> produce some quite high random peaks, and judicious use of this can
> often give
> me an extra 3-4dB headroom.
>
> --
> Will J Godfrey

If a special synth sound or e.g. an effect like a phaser should cause
such peaks, I would use a compressor for the channel(s) not a limiter
for the master bus.

IMO a limiter can be used the way Fons was suggesting, to protect
against a maximum credible accident and yes, than it should be used for
the master bus. But my philosophy differs. Compress critical sound
material for the channels, if needed. Good usage of EQs very often could
help, so that there isn't the need to compress those signals.

When we don't had computers and analog equipment was expensive, we need
to find other solutions. Today there are some easy solutions, but we
risk that this over-processing became audible.

Again, the usage Fons was suggesting is uncritical, but using a limiter
instead of a compressor, for often repeating peaks isn't good, since the
limiter would cause distortion.

2 cents,

Ralf