[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Oct 20 03:03:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 01:40 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:02:44 +0200
> From: Philipp ?berbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?
> To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>
>
> Excerpts from S. Massy's message of 2011-10-19 21:09:36 +0200:
> > On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:31:48AM +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen
> wrote:
> > >
> > > It's interesting that in the 70's (the last half for me) and 80's,
> we did not
> > > have much possibilities compared to what we have today, we had to
> stick to
> > > what we had. But the sound itself and the mixes could sound very
> good. Much of
> > > what's typical of the sound from the 70's and 80's was not about
> quality but
> > > sound preferences, well expect for noise, echo and other tape and
> HW
> > > artifacts.
> > It's also interesting to note that, with the plethora of devices,
> > plugins and general techniques available today, mmusic production
> seems
> > to be sonically convergent. IOW, back when people had less freedom
> in
> > terms of choice, they fought harder to create a production sound
> > specific to them, while today, that self-same freedom seems to be
> used
> > to mimic one another as much as possible. (This is speaking broadly,
> of
> > course.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > S.M.
>
> The question is, what can you do except mimic each other? Where can
> you
> go where no-one has gone before?
> I think I heard an anecdote once that Mozart (or another big classical
> composers) wondered about the same thing, yet a lot stuff happened
> since. The only possible way to go is into experimental music, and
> even
> there it's very hard to do something no-one has done before. The added
> downside is that nearly no-one will want to listen to experimental
> music (based on the principle of pop music, people like what's similar
> to what they know and like). I think many people have run into this
> problem and I believe that's where the (from my observation)
> increasing
> trend of combining different kinds media comes from.
>
> In at least the time I could observe them many musicians fell into two
> categories: Those who are happy with playing music in the style of
> popular musicians from years past (Classical era, Beatles era, Rock
> era)
> and those who are happy to play in the popular style of the present
> (Pop). I believe those who tried to find new grounds have always been
> minority, and it likely always was hard, for a variety of reasons.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

Do we need e.g. guys like Mark Guilian, Mike Patton, etc. those spoiled
kids who bedder should drive the Porsche spend by mum and dad? They
steal the music of my generation independence musicians and make a lot
of money. We are hardly able to event some new kind of music, but we can
try to do it and we can keep our roots. Those roots might be Schubert,
McCoy Tyner, Radio Birdman, The Acüssed etc. but never ever some of that
commercial mainstream.

The other thread was about what? Analog mixing vs "how much plugins can
I use to kill a good composition?" when doing digital recording. Nobody
force us to do over-processing when doing HDD and MIDI-sequencer
recording. We are free to use the computer in a sane way.