[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Oct 20 14:50:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 09:43:04AM +0100, Folderol wrote:

> Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:

> > So after Cher released Believe it didn't get forgotten and
> > people are still not bored with it.

> Now you've hit a raw nerve!
> As far as I'm concerned that autotune devastated what would otherwise have been
> an incredibly powerful song. Indeed, it would have been good enough that I
> would have gone out and bought a copy - and my record buying rate is about 1
> every three years!

Certainly 'Believe' isn't forgotten - I actually heard it yesterday on radio3
(which is the 'culture' channel here). But it doesn't need the effect and would
be as fine without it.

What will be forgotton are the imitations which have little to offer apart from
the effect.

I don't know what is exactly inside the Antares, but it's said to be a phase
vocoder, which at1 certainly isn't. OTOH, the output produced by at1 would
be similar to a phase vocoder tracking the phase of a signal at the estimated
input frequency.

Ciao,

--
FA