[LAU] Recommend inexpensive monitors and headphones

S C Rigler riglersc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:29:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Artem Vakhitov <temcat at mail.ru> wrote:

> On 21.10.2011 16:39, Artem Vakhitov wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> can you recommend me some inexpensive but good small monitors and
>> headphones for home recording? No high aspirations yet, just for doing
>> various demos on my laptop. Admittedly, I don't know how to define
>> "good" here, I just need them to be perceptibly better than your average
>> desktop speakers and earbuds :) Similarly, I don't really know what
>> "inexpensive" is referring to the above, but as a wild guess, let's
>> start from $100. I prefer plain audio solutions, though will consider
>> USB ones (my Samsung Q70 has two US ports only, so that puts some
>> limitations).
>>

> BTW, I use M-Audio Firewire Solo as my audio interface, if that matters
> somehow.

I also have a M-Audio Firewire Solo.  I don't know how much experience
you've had with yours, but if you haven't updated the firmware on it then I
would strongly advise against doing it.  If you have, then you already
understand the pain.

For monitors I have a pair of M-Audio BX5a's.  When I'm recording and need
some isolation I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones and for
double checking mixes I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595 (open air)
headphones. Of course this all costs more than $100, but I'd consider it all
"budget" class and it doesn't suck.

--Steve