[LAU] Recommend inexpensive monitors and headphones

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Fri Oct 21 22:16:55 UTC 2011

Reply to All / Reply to List
On Friday 21 October 2011 16.57.32 Harry van Haaren wrote:
> A friend of mine has the K271 (Golden coloured sides), they're fine for
> doing light work.

If I understand the phrase "doing light work" as "not very suitable for
mixing, editing and long time usage", then I have to correct you, sorry.
I'm probably on safe ground when I claim that this phones are probably
among the best when it comes to professional mixing and master
engineering. And as a bonus, they are great for musicians while
recording, not to mention the price.

You can sit hour rafter hour with them while editing tracks and doing
detailed  work. Any, pop, breath, scratch, artifact, muddiness and
details reveals and comes to the light. That said, phones and monitors
are a very personal thing and the most important thing is to getting to
know them well and really know how they are compared to others.

Sure, good monitors are great, but if you can't afford it (most people
can't), then you should at least get some great phones - and that won't
cost a lot of money. If you keep your ears in shape and are pedantic
about knowing your phones and monitors well, then you will soon learn and
trust your ears on what's not working or not working in a car, a lap top,
MP3 players or a decent hi-fi player or anything else.

A little note: I also have Denon AH-D5000 (lucky me) which costs 3 times
more than the K271s. But they are not suitable at all for mixing and
audio work, only for listening and being in paradise - Point your browser
to  www.gubemusic.com and buy some 24 bit flac files you might like  and
you will know what I mean by paradise.

I also used to have two ADAM A7 monitors, but they are stolen.

Jostein