[LAU] CD ROM Problem

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Sep 19 04:22:43 UTC 2011

Bob van der Poel wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 6:42 PM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>> Wild guess - is it possible that the resulting track image it's trying to
>> burn is just a song or two too long for the media you're using? Like trying
>> to fit an 80-minute track onto 70-minute media?
>
> I don't see that. I could be wrong of course, but I've got 22 tracks
> in total. I removed 8 and 9 from the directory and it works. The crash
> was happening at the end of track 8 (if one believes the report from
> cdrecord) ... and the total size was about 600 meg. I'm going to
> restore one track, try again; restore both and try; and maybe rename
> #8 to something else to force it to the end of the disk.
>
> But, yes, size is an issue I guess. I have no idea how cdrecord does
> allocation of space, but I assume it's from the center out just like
> tracks are when played. Allocation table overflow? Seems unlikely.
>
> Ideas are welcome! I feel like I'm in the twilight zone :)

And my wild guess is about all I'm good for. Although maybe drive speed
makes a difference? As the track goes outward, the disk media itself
changes rotation speed, yes? (Sorry, just vague recollections of what
little I knew about optical drive mechanics, something about
constant-angular-velocity?) Of course, the chance of this effecting TWO
different optical drives simultaneously is pretty slim. That's why I
thought of the next element they had in common: the media (particularly
capacity).

I did have problems at one time burning CDs on a particular drive.
Turned out that drive burning mostly worked until the laser head reached
a particular point, then the laser head lost alignment and started
spitting out errors. Mechanical problem with the drive itself.

I don't remember - did you try disconnecting one of the drives and
burning on the other?

Anyway, definitely the Twilight Zone!

--
David