[LAU] OT: printers

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Sep 19 05:50:59 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Arnold Krille's message of 2011-09-15 15:29:01 +0200:
> On Thursday 15 September 2011 14:43:14 fred wrote:
> > PURELY OT (and greenly sorry, folks !)
> > As a matter of fact, inkjet are drying out on their own, and laserjet
> > can't dry more than they are,
> > BUT,
> > are you really sure you NEED to print that much ????
>
> Laser is imho recommended both when you print much (>10 pages a day) and when
> you print very little (~10 print-jobs a year).
> The advantage of laser for high-volume doesn't need to be told, but for very
> low volume a laser is at an advantage too: You can completely disconnect the
> printer when not using it. With an inkjet you have the choice of unplugging
> the printer (and have the print-head dried out when you need to print that
> urgent document due tomorrow morning), or leave it connected to the mains and
> use power constantly to regularly keep the ink running a little. Needless to
> say that this consumes power and ink in times where you are not printing at
> all. And one filling of laser-toner last longer than one filling of ink (general
> statement abstracted from any printer models).
>
> So, if you have the choice and don't need to print colors that much, get a
> laser to print your sheets, cd inlets or backup-tape-logs.
>
> And to emphasize what fred says, the fastest and cheapest and greenest
> printing job is not printing at all.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold

Thanks Arnold,
I didn't realise the thing about power. That explains why mine dried
out. It doesn't explain why it completely refuses to print, even black,
when any cartridge is dried or expired (HP), but that's another story I
guess. This printer mutated to a scanner and card reader.