[LAU] Berklee Certification

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Sep 27 18:18:08 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 06:48 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
>> If you could document your setup, you'll probably be able to convince
>> quite a few future students!
>
> I surely will. BTW, Robin, I also used xjadeo extensively for these
> classes, it served me very well for syncing music to image.

I'm glad to hear that.

Now that you've graduated and have lots of time (hehe) you may want to
give http://gareus.org/wiki/a3vtl a shot. Basically it allows to control
xjadeo from ardour3 and offers a video-timeline. BUT the usual
alpha-software warnings apply.

>> The problem is not so much the software; but time and equipment
>> (instruments, musicians, studio) to record and create those libraries -
>> especially orchestral sounds libraries for film scoring can be quite
>> expensive.
>>
>> Most producers of these sample-libs do simply not have the means to
>> support free-software: Publishing the samples in a proprietary format
>> solves their issue of distribution retaining copy-protection.
>
> I wouldn't object to using commercial apps like Kontakt or PLAY on Linux...

I would not object to commercial samples - if the sampler is free :)

Though eventually I'd favor some kind of GPL or CC buyout model. DRM is
evil but musicians still need to eat.

I think the problem boils down to creating an open format for a
commercial sample-library that prevents the user from sharing the
samples while it can still be used (in realtime). The usual GNU/Linux
approaches (e.g. gpg encrypted ramdisk) make it either too easy to
circumvent copy protection or are not suitable for real-time usage.

Tools like http://www.linuxsampler.org/nkitool/ are in constant need to
be updated to new versions...

>> AFAIK sonokinetic.net is or was looking into making their libs available
>> for GNU/Linux applications; but I don't know any details.
>
> That would be awesome... I use a lot of Sonokinetic's libraries.

They did sponsor the Linux Audio Conference this year.

maybe we should start asking them repeatedly about Linux support...
I just sent them an inquiry. I will let you know when they respond.

>> Another Dutch effort: http://opensymphonia.sourceforge.net/ is an active
>> project towards that goal.
>
> Wonder how that is coming along... not much there right now...

It is still in planning phase.. it only started a few months back and -
alas - there is not much information there how to help except for
donating money.  I am a bit reluctant to do so without knowing the way
they'll go. So far they only outline the goals which IMHO seem a bit too
too unrealistic. Even just the first point on:
http://opensymphonia.sourceforge.net/?page_id=16
"Studio quality 192khz/24bit recording of a entire Orchestra per section
and per instrument, dry and in a concert hall."
would be an investment of >$1M in the commercial world.
And the 2nd: "Multiple articulations" will take at least a year or two.

let's hope Joey can pull this one off!

robin