[LAU] zynaddsubfx / yoshimi... beginner's questions

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Apr 8 07:25:11 UTC 2012

On 04/07/2012 11:35 AM, Renato wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:48:42 +0200
> "Victor A. Stoichita"<vicsto at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'd like to learn more about how to use zynaddsubfx. I know the basic
>> setup and I understand the most obvious parameters, but is there
>> something like a manual or an "advanced" tutorial somewhere?
>
> Hi, this
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=zynaddsubfx_manual
> was a good read for me; it gives an overview of zyn/yoshimi's internal
> workings and proceeds to explain pretty much every knob.
>
>> From my limited understanding there are some *major* improvements
> yoshimi brought in performance over zynaddsubfx, and I don't think
> there is any reason why you should be using zyn instead of yoshimi.

One reason I switched to using Yoshimi instead of Zyn was because Zyn
would frequently simply hang, unresponsive, when running JACK at what I
considered low latencies (8-16ms). (Other folk on the list probably
don't consider that low latency at all.) Yoshimi didn't have that problem.

I THINK Yoshimi uses more CPU than Zyn, never checked to measure.

The Yoshimi UI is cleaner than Zyn's, more readable. I think both of
them would benefit by realizing that the typical graphics UI now is much
higher resolution than the cramped little spaces the UI seems to be
designed for, but that's could be just my opinion.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community