[LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

Alex Stone alextone at bmail.ru
Mon Apr 23 15:28:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:00:59 +0200 (CEST)
  "Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> On Mon, April 23, 2012 2:06 am, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>> You do realise that many of the tools being produced by the Linux
>>>Audio
>>> Community are being used in the advertising industry which makes us
>>>all
>>> complicit in supporting it to start with.
>>>
>>> IMO we cannot avoid that fact that advertising and marketing is a
>>>very
>>> crucial component to global industry which enables the corporate
>>>world
>>> continue to function. We should seek to manage our own channel and
>>> therefore the message and brand rather than avoid it all together
>>>out of
>>> some ridiculous fear of becoming Evil.
>>
>> Sorry, it is not ridiculous at all.
>>

> The liklihood of the Linux Audio community succumbing to the evils
>of the
> mighty dollar is pretty ridiculous. We have too many checks and
>balances
> and are not afraid to call a spade a spade. We are certainly not
>beholden
> to anyone else's agenda afaict.
>

>>>We may even make enough money in
>>> the process to pay some of our community members and help them to be
>>> productive and motivated.
>>
>> Managing our channel? Sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you mean
>> advertising our message on __other__ sites? What is "our message"?
>>

> The message is whatever we want it to be. If the message is that
>Linux
> Audio is *only* interested in non profit, volunteer or barely
>breaking
> even financial support from educational institutes then I guess we
>have
> already defined it and there is nothing more to be done.
>
> There is more to this community than just a bunch of well resourced
> academics and semi retired technical experts with enough time on
>their
> hands to give away everything for free.
>

>>> If we continue to avoid the whole issue that is exactly what the
>>>"Evil"
>>> marketing companies and corporations would like for us to do so that
>>> they
>>> can have complete control over the message, brand, content and
>>>income
>>> stream...
>>
>> It would seem to me the issue is not being avoided at all (witness
>>the
>> long thread I'm still reading), it is just that not all people in
>>this
>> list - which you asked for feedback - agree with your view of the
>>world
>> and what linuxaudio.org should/could/must be.
>>

> That's fine that people disagree with me. I knew that before I asked
>the
> list for feedback. I am seeking to find out how far it goes. Has it
>been a
> conscious choice over the years to avoid the marketing industry as
> [...]

I think you've got it pretty covered with this, Patrick.

I respectfully suggest that the consortium consider a charter of sorts
that advertisers get, outlining the principles of linuxaudio, in terms
of making sure advertising isn't used as a stick to demand development
go in one direction or another, and Fernando's concerns dont come to
pass. He makes a good point, and it should be considered in relation
to further discussions, imho.

I don't think commercial consortiums allow a free for all when it
comes to accepting all ads regardless of style, and the linuxaudio
community is in a unique position that profit doesn't drive decision
making, nor do i think the linuxaudio consortium, replete with common
sense as it is, would allow it.

 From the tone of the comments, it seems the majority consider garish,
excessively animated, or obscenely coloured ads to be too much.