[LAU] small usb interface (1in 2out)

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Apr 26 13:49:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, plutek wrote:

> From: yvan volochine <yvan.sc at googlemail.com>
>>
>> sorry to post YAThread about usb interfaces but I need a small usb one
>> with 1 in and 2 out (basically a mic and a loud stereo out).
>>

> i don't know about those devices, but i just purchased an ART USB Dual
> Tube Pre and am very happy with it. works ootb as a class-compliant USB
> device, with no drivers or firmware required.

   I'll second that nomination, as I just purchased one also.  It has a
noise floor about 5db worse than my Focusrite firewire interface, but for
the money ($149 USD) it's a great product. It also has an SPDIF output, so
I can use it as an expansion of my focusrite firewire interface as well as
standalone.  (But alas, no wordclock in, so in order to utilize those
extra two channels, I have to slave the focusrite to the SPDIF clock.)

A friend who didn't need the SPDIF out, but only a two-channel pre with
phantom to expand his band's PA also bought the solid-state version ($69
USD).  I had a chance to check it out, and it also 'just works' on
Ubuntustudio 12.04beta.  I didn't make noise floor measurements on that
one, however.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615405-REG/ART_USBDUALPREPS_USB_Dual_Pre.html

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009