[LAU] OnDemand-performance was(OT: klang)

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 00:25:04 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> >> NB. frequency scaling _can_ be an issue when using jack2 (or tschak) on
> >> a multi-core machine: The total system-load (over all CPUs) may still be
> >> too low for the CPU governor to react, while DSP load is already at the
> >> limit.
>
> This is an edge case and very hard to reproduce and very unlikely to
> cause any issue to normal users (Sorry Nando, you and your setup at
> CCRMA don't qualify as /normal/. It's an awesome setup).

For the record, I also see similar problems on my machine, which is a bog
standard 6 core Phenom II.  However I simply have a widget on my desktop
that I swap through the various CPU frequency scaling governors, namely
going to performance when I need to do heavier audio work.  The rest of the
time I keep it on low power and can do basic audio work till I max out the
single core I am working on in A2 or Mixbus.  Jack doesn't stop running on
my machine really.

Personally I like my setup, it is a piece of cake to click on my desktop,
and select the appropriate governor when I need to do work.  And I have
never had a problem on max performance with xruns on any project really
till I max out the CPU with processing of course.

        Seablade