[LAU] Study Finds New Pop Music Does All Sound the Same.

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Aug 6 19:29:36 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 03:44 AM, Charles Henry wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Ralf Mardorf<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>  wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 08:32:41 +0200, david<gnome at hawaii.rr.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, this is compounded by the way at least the American education
>>> used to put a lot of effort into discouraging students from singing or
>>> playing music ...
>>

>> *chuckle*
>>
>> As I explained in my previous mails, discouraging children to become
>> creative already starts on German elementary schools.
>> They teach them to use the left brain, instead of the right brain and they
>> don't shy away from teaching dyslexics how to read by that ugly left brain
>> thinking too. I wonder that they don't beat left-handers anymore. I suspect
>> they don't understand what already seems to be known since the 80s, about
>> how the brain seems to work. They have tons of affirmative action to teach
>> the children arts, to teach dyslexics reading etc., but this seldom is done
>> by artists, experts, it's done by social workers who miss to join their own
>> psychotherapy.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>
> I nearly take offense to this.  You don't know what you're talking
> about vis a vis psychology.  There's plenty of good research in
> education going on right now (I can't say what goes on in Germany
> though).  Left vs Right brain dichotomies are a wrong understanding of
> creative and analytical thinking.  There's a bigger picture that this
> all fits into, and you're missing a lot of it.
>
> I think that most kids aren't interested in music.  It's exceptional
> for one of them to want to play music at a young age anyway.

If you've seen a classroom full of elementary school kids doing music,
they're having a blast and really enjoy it. The basic neural processing
that underlies music (pitch recognition and rhythm) is the same
processing that underlies the ability to learn languages.

Their enjoyment of it is what leads education systems to squash it. They
enjoy it too much, they won't move on to other things the system wants
to teach them ... they also become loud and excited, which the system
sees as unruly and disobedient ...

No, young children love music until they're taught NOT to love it. Until
they're taught that they can't really make music unless they have "the
gift" (that destructive myth of the Romantic movement that only those
"touched by the gods" can do art). Making music is a skill, not some
mysterious "gift" that only a few have.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com