[LAU] Study Finds New Pop Music Does All Sound the Same.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 6 23:21:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 15:31 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I was told in grade 4 choir to NOT sing ... just mouth the words. It's
> 50+ years later and I still avoid singing ... and I'm probably not
> that awful. Shows the effect of a teacher on a young mind. And, I
> fear, that things have not changed all that much in the last 50 years.

What is bad singing?

Neil Young wasn't a good singer and today he's less good as in the early
days, but it suits to his kind of west coast music [1]. A weak point can
become groundbreaking, this is part of the work artist should do. We've
got the technology to fix the singing of Neil Young. I bet nobody would
buy a Neil Young + Crazy Horse "Antares" album.

That reminds me that there's some truth in the study. Some days ago I
listened to "Ragged Glory" 1990 and IIRC the chords and rhythm of more
than the half songs on that album are simpler as for the old songs from
him.

[1]
I'm not sure if in other countries Neil Young and musicians like him are
called west cost musicians
http://board.rapmusic.com/hip-hop-central/903136-top-100-west-coast-songs-all-time.html

"Cos what I call home you call hell" - Ice-T (Perhaps this is west coast
music)

Greetz from South Central Ruhrgebiet
Ralf