[LAU] creating open source sample libs. (Was: Re: Experiment One - For Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra. Music and a short review of the sample library)

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 12:05:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> this has nothing to do with organization. to be skilled enough at performing
> a stringed instrument that its worth sampling the notes you play requires
> hours and hours and hours of practice, along with a huge amount of feedback
> from other musicians. its not impossible to be this good without doing it
> for at least part of your income, but its rare.

Especially when you are talking about orchestral instruments, finding
the players who can perform all of the notes, articulations, different
levels for velocity layers, etc etc etc, is a daunting task.
Commercial sample library producers hire full orchestras and the
production is as elaborate and expensive as recording a film score
live. Musicians who are skilled enough to record samples cleanly and
accurately don't like working for free, either. You might find a small
community orchestra, but the playing skill levels vary with those, and
those orchestras typically will not perform for free either,
especially for the long hours it requires to record a sample library.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com