[LAU] creating open source sample libs. (Was: Re: Experiment One - For Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra. Music and a short review of the sample library)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Aug 14 12:31:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 08:05:16AM -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:

> Especially when you are talking about orchestral instruments, finding
> the players who can perform all of the notes, articulations, different
> levels for velocity layers, etc etc etc, is a daunting task.
> Commercial sample library producers hire full orchestras and the
> production is as elaborate and expensive as recording a film score
> live. Musicians who are skilled enough to record samples cleanly and
> accurately don't like working for free, either. You might find a small
> community orchestra, but the playing skill levels vary with those, and
> those orchestras typically will not perform for free either,
> especially for the long hours it requires to record a sample library.

It's long hours and requires all involved to be concentrated
up to stress levels.

Two years ago I recorded something like 15 hours of single notes,
scratches, squeeks and whatever weird sounds that can be made on
a single violin or viola, to be used for an electro-acoustic
production.

The work was divided over three evenings with a week in between
each time. Present were the two players, the composer and me.
All completely exhausted each evening. But it was quite interesting.

Ciao,

--
FA