[LAU] Ubuntustudio 12.04 audio?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Aug 20 15:08:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, August 20, 2012 7:37 am, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 08/20/12 16:33, Len Ovens wrote:
>> I am hearing that the FW stack is being moved to ALSA (or added?) but I
>> don't know how far that is away from actually happening.
>
> Probably very far away. Afaik the developer who worked on this has said
> sometime somewhere that he put this effort on indefinite hold. It is
> called the fireworks ALSA driver, Clemens Ladisch worked on it.

It is a lot of work for one person, I would guess each driver for
different devices would have to be redone too. I don't know how well the
FW drivers are supported now. That is if some of them work but have no one
to look after them, it would be hard to get them switched to ALSA. Having
half and half would be just as bad. On the other hand making a framework
that would work for FW devices in general and adding just one device may
give others an interest in porting other drivers.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net