[LAU] Output all audio on other computer's device?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Aug 28 06:53:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, August 28, 2012 8:18 am, Grant wrote:

>>> Would all of the applications with audio output on the slave that are
>>> sending the output to the master need to be jack-aware?
>>
>> there are bridging applications to allow jack and alsa applications
>> (for instance) to work together. try:
>> zita-ajbridge
>> libjackasyn0 (for oss)
>>
>> If so, is
>>> there a way to send any and all audio output from the slave to the
>>> master so that each audio application on the slave doesn't need to be
>>> aware of jack?
>>
>> sorry, i'm not sure what you mean
>
> Would something like this work in asound.conf:
>
> pcm.!default {
>   type plug
>   slave.pcm {
>     type dmix
>     ipc_key 1024
>     slave {
>       some-kind-of-jack-specification
>       format S24_3LE
>       rate 44100
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> The idea being that I could let all apps send audio to the default
> device and ALSA would send that audio to jack.

People have managed it in the past with varying degrees of success. The
standard method these days is to use pulseaudio's jack-sink over dbus.

I don't know why people still insist on making their lives more difficult
that necessary. Pulse works just fine as a jack client.

http://linux-audio.com/images/linux-audio-stack.png

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd