[LAU] hdspmixer oddities

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sun Dec 9 03:48:03 UTC 2012

There are a couple of assorted manifestations of weirdness I've been
living with in the hdspmixer utility for RME cards, but I'm starting to
wonder if it's just my system, or whether it's true everywhere...

The important one is that the preset saving facility doesn't seem to
actually do anything.  You can store your mixer settings to a preset
file with .mix extension.  You can even make it the default file so it
will be loaded when the mixer starts.  But it doesn't seem to actually
do anything.  I know it *thinks* it's working because the title bar of
its window shows the name of the default preset file I created...so it
*thinks* it loaded it, and it does the load automatically when the
program starts without me having to do it...like it should.

But actually, the settings I'm seeing in the actual faders are exactly
what you get from factory preset number 1, the stock default, as though
it hadn't loaded anything.  If I look at other preset buttons, they all
show factory presets also.  If I manually browse and open a user preset
file myself in the program's GUI, it never complains, and it seems to
open, and the opened settings you get from doing that still look
remarkably just like factory preset #1.

So, in effect, I can't save my mixer settings, which is a shame, because
on Hammerfall based chips they can get awfully complicated to re-create.

The other problem is more of a nitpick:  The level meter for analog in
#8, the last analog input on my Multiface II, shows nothing, even when
there's signal.  Other programs see signal from that input, just not
hdspmixer.  It's not a practical hindrance, but it's unnerving.

Anyone else seeing any of this stuff?  By the way, I've been seeing this
for years.  Before I ran Gentoo, I was on Debian.  It's been true on
both distros across several versions of the alsa-tools package, at least
here on this system.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky