[LAU] Recommended soundcard

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 20 02:39:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 21:03 -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Tim Humphrey <drthumph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a professional quality soundcard that
> > runs on Linux Ubuntu (from version 10 onwards)?
> >
> > Don't want to commit to a card and then find out it doesn't work!
>
> Your first stop in picking a soundcard for Linux:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

What is your definition of "professional quality"?

You are aware that the most professional sound card can sound less good,
if there's audio jitter e.g. caused by the combination mobo + sound
card?

What Interfaces do you need?

The card should work with Ubuntu >= 10, but should it also be usable
with new mobos in the near future or would PCI be ok too?

It's said that RME cards are good supported by Linux. I own a HDSPe AIO
and it's not good supported.

M-Audio should be good supported, but you might consider those cards as
semi-pro and not pro.
It depends to the usage, what "professional quality soundcard" does
mean.

Regards,
Ralf