[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Sat Dec 22 14:58:37 UTC 2012

As a newcomer to the "Pro Audio" industry and a long time *nix user
(somewhat mitigating this outburst here) I must say I'm not impressed.

I've spent thousands recently and found suppliers either just don't
'know' the products they sell, or purposely misrepresent them. In one
instance it took nearly a month to obtain a refund!

For RME products; the 'bundled' word seems to be the one to watch out for.
If it's a Multiface II bundled with a card, then double check. Same for
UCX bundled with remote controller.

I'd be getting on with building a new rack right now, but I've just
received half a pair of brackets from a UK supplier and there's
hardly anything more useless than half a pair of rack brackets. Grr.

Why must I have so many microphone inputs? I'm a solo poet/musician
with one mic. and enough places to plug it in to sink a battleship.

Synth manufacturers: Why no ADAT out?

But what really annoys me are the presumptions I had about my best
synthesiser/drum machine's MIDI capabilities. You'd probably similarly
presume an state-of-the-art instrument designed by Dave Smith and Roger
Linn would be spot on in the MIDI dept, but it isn't. Six stereo 'voice'
outs, but FIXED PITCH! To be fair(er) the OS is still in development...

I don't resent Dave Smith getting a Technical Grammy though. Not at all.
I've been having fun with MIDI for an awful long time.

http://www.factmag.com/2012/12/13/dave-smith-father-of-midi-to-receive-special-honorary-grammy/

--
John.

(Definitely feeling better for having shared my frustration.)