[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 14:55:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com
> wrote:

> Behringer components are getting better every year. The Music Group also
> own Midas which is top of the line gear and preferred by several people I
> know. Behringer products get a bad rap round here but our tests have shown
> they have near perfect quality components across the range of hardware
> they produce. At the price point they are the best value audio products on
> the planet. Plus they ship Audacity with their included merchandise which
> makes it the most distributed audio editor on the planet.

Many live engineers I work with are more hesitant about using Midas now,
not more willing to accept Behringer.  Music Group bought both Midas and
Klark Technik, both of which were very respected names in the live audio
industry before being purchased, being associated with the Music Group may
have saved these companies from not operating, but it has damaged their
reputation amongst professionals, more than it has helped Behringers.

Behringer may have increased the quality of their manufacturing, they have
convinced some people of this.  But they still try to take every shortcut
they generally can, and still have a history, whether Uli recognizes it or
not, that includes blatant ripoffs of other designs and questionable
ethical activity, along with poor quality and reliability.  Yes some of
their products do sound respectable, almost all of them were at least
'inspired' by existing products that were already out.  There are very few
that I can use or recommend to be used because of this, and always my rule
is that if you are going to use Behringer you have to have at least 2 for
when it fails.  And really I just don't recommend them, I only use them
when I absolutely have to.

        Seablade