[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Dec 27 15:09:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, December 27, 2012 6:39 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 14:41 +0100, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
>> Technics MK1210
>
> Not needed all the times, I own a JVC QL-A5 and removed the
> semiautomatic thingy. For the sound quality you only need a good
> pickup/needle and IMO start-up, pitching range, isn't that important,
> especially start-up is ok with less expensive turn tables too, when
> using a slipmat etc..IMO the Technics are only needed for DJs. Btw. many
> home users prefer belt drive.
>
> The main reason to use the Technics is, that crap as e.g. semiautomatic
> tends to get broken, but for my record player it's possible to remove
> the semiautomatic.

The main reason for professional turntables that I saw (McCurdy ,
Technics, etc.) was startup speed and physical stability. The DJ would cue
the disc and hit motor start when they wanted to play it. Speed was
stabilized in less than half (sometimes quarter) revolution. Once playing
you could pretty much pound a fist against the side of the unit without
skipping. They had weights inside the cabinet so the inertia held things
steady. The joke was they were good for putting in light bulbs... someone
could stand on top with a light bulb to the socket and turn the motor on
to screw it in. Tough stuff. The needles were run heavy... the discs
replaced often... the cartridge main goal was to be able to handle
abuse... not to get great sound. More than one DJ added coins on top of
the cartridge...

>From my days as a broadcast tech in the late 70s, just as CDs were making
their presence felt.

--