[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Dec 27 17:19:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 07:09:51AM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:

> The joke was they were good for putting in light bulbs... someone
> could stand on top with a light bulb to the socket and turn the motor on
> to screw it in.

Except that it would turn the wrong way...

When I was in broadcasting the turntables were EMT. They had a slip
coupling between the main (heavy) platter and the actual (light) one
supporting the disk. So with the motor turning you could stop / cue
the disk by holding one finger to the rim of the upper platter. When
released it would start 'instantly'...

Ciao,

--
FA