[LAU] Live mic and monitoring (was rant.)

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 10:48:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Roger <gurusonic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to add another 2c to this discussion and highly recommend the
> Sennheiser "e" series of microphones. The e845 is one of the nicest
> sounding vocal mics for stage use at a really good price. Warm and natural
> with great clarity without that nasty peakiness of SM58s. They make my job
> as a monitor engineer a breeze. For that condenser mic sound, I prefer the
> e965 to the more commonly used Beta87A and Neumann KMS105 which are way
> more expensive.
> We also use Sennheiser instrument mics - e901, e902, e904 and e906 which
> are all great for their respective purposes.
> No, I'm not sponsored by Sennheiser, we also use Shure, Beyer, and
> AudioTechnica. And yes, I like some of the Heil mics I've tried,
> particularly vocal mics, but prefer the Sennheisers.

Honestly Sennheiser is often a better choices than the standards of
Shure(SM58, etc.), however I am finding people tend to vastly overstate
them.  Personally I am just not as happy with, particularly the low end 'e'
series mics.  The 9 series isn't to bad, but the 8 series I could do better
than fairly easily in my experience.  I also don't have specific brands
mics I use all the time across the board, I tend to use whatever I find
works best.  Sometimes that is Shure, sometimes Sennheiser, sometimes Rode,
sometime Audix...  this list goes on for a while:)

Particularly when dealing with vocal mics, it can be very important to have
a mike that matches the voice.  Otherwise the SM58, Beta58, and even
Beta57, while not the best sounding mics in the world, you should be able
to get a decent sound on just about ANY voice with.  That is why they are
still used.

              Seablade