[LAU] iPad and Linux audio

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:45:24 UTC 2012

> 1) (care of lincoln spiteri):
> http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/thirdparty/ardroid/
>
> 2) Android audio is unusable for anything related to music creation or
> pro-audio.
>     The incredibly long bug report on this leaves me with only one
> feeling: Android's
>      master's don't care. If they don't care, its hard for me to.

You make very relevant points here and they are hard to argue against.
There  is a bigger picture though. The performance of device such as the ASUS
and Lenovo quad core tablets means android does not need to be relegated to remotecontrol. I still fully acknowledge the issues of android's masters and audio creation. The thing is that the same issues never stopped Linux audio from developing,LAD/LAU laid the grounds for things that the kernel developers are finally embracingand that the Android people will also be forced to address.
Perhaps Android will remain another world but I don't see any other development thatreally puts linux so close to mainstream, and it is being ignored by pretty much the wholeof LAD/LAU. It is fast becoming a missed opportunity - as soon as Android resolves itsissues of real-time then the commercial audio companies will invade the space, they havealready expressed that desire and that will leave Linux audio in even more of a niche.
Regards, nick.