[LAU] iPad and Linux audio

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Feb 3 22:51:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 10:45:24PM +0100, Nick Copeland wrote:

> Perhaps Android will remain another world but I don't see any
> other development thatreally puts linux so close to mainstream,

that's a political argument...

> and it is being ignored by pretty much the wholeof LAD/LAU.

For technical reasons AFAICS.

> It is fast becoming a missed opportunity - as soon as Android
> resolves itsissues of real-time then the commercial audio
> companies will invade the space, they havealready expressed
> that desire and that will leave Linux audio in even more of
> a niche.

As soon as I see and Android device with ADAT or MADI optical
interfaces, or anything wireless that provides a low-latency,
reliable and multichannel audio interface, I'll jump on it.

As long as it's only low-Q mic and earbuds on mini-jacks it's
just a toy as far as pro audio is concerned. And given the
target market of such devices it's likely to stay that way.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.