[LAU] help for a LAUer wannabe

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Mon Feb 6 12:53:21 UTC 2012

On 06.02.2012 13:33, Renato wrote:
> Hi, I've got a friend who would like to try out linux for audio and
> he's asking me for help. He's totally new to linux and it's been a
> while since I've used super-begginner's documentation, so I'm asking
> you for help.
>
> So, what distro should I reccomend him? is Ubuntu Studio 64 maintained
> and well documented? Or better go with vanilla Ubuntu?
> I know many like AVLinux, but I guess for a total newbie Ubuntu is
> safer since it's easier to find docs online and help when you get stuck
> with something (and sooner or later that happens when learning a new
> OS).

hallo,

from my experience, i am not using ubuntu but aptosid, searching in web
for some solutions, i find tons of questions in ubuntu sites but not
really much answers/solutions.
also i read lot of people reporting that newer ubuntus are broken for
audio work, but i haven’t tried myself. i am maintaining my neighbors
ubuntu, but he uses it only for tv, internet, mails etc.

you better choose some specialized distro like AVlinux which has a
smaller user base, but they are much more into linux audio. combine that
with LAU and you should probably be ready to go pretty soon.

cheers,
doc