[LAU] iPad and Linux audio

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Feb 7 00:29:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> did you watch the videos?
>
> Nope :)
>
> But I did just now: Sure its cool stuff, but is this going to be the next
> stuff played on radio? Is this what society thinks is "good" and "creative"
> expression? Perhaps I'm going a bit OT, but I personally just don't relate
> with trying to make music using a tool that's so unpredictable.

the tool isn't remotely unpredictable.

> And when the
> composer / user can't reliably use a tool I feel that something gets lost,
> because the situation isn't progressing towards where the composer intends.

you were watching a demo of the full capabilities of instrument.

take a listen to lou reed's metal machine music or pat metheny's zero
tolerance for silence or any of boyd rice's stuff and then imagine
that its the first demo you ever came across of this crazy new thing
they call an "electric guitar". next you'd be telling me that the
guitar is not usable as a way to make music that people want to hear
:)