[LAU] help for a LAUer wannabe

Ernie Dulanowsky ernst.pulsewidth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 07:53:57 UTC 2012

On Feb 6, 2012 1:37 PM, "Renato" <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:15:08 +0000
> Dan MacDonald <allcoms at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > AV Linux is def. the best bet for your friend - I'd tell him to wait a
> > couple of weeks for 5.0.3 to be released as AV doesn't really support
> > being updated as such - it is supposed to be used 'as-is' as it
> > includes lots of apps and custom tweaks that are alien to the Debian
> > repos and hence may or may not work after you do an 'apt-get upgrade'.
> >
> > The AV Linux manual is surely one the best guides and introductions
> > to the basics of Linux audio, JACK and Debian available too and if
> > there is anything not covered there it has excellent forums where you
> > can ask your distro-related questions but before using that I would
> > recommend asking in #opensourcemusicians on freenode irc.
> >

> This seems like a good suggestion. He's allready installed ubuntu
> studio and is playing with it, I'll burn him AV 5.0.3 when it gets out
> so he'll give it a try.
>
> Well, actually I was surprised he was able to install ubuntu aside
> windows, do internet and start playing with Ardour, all in a couple of
> hours and without help or much prior knowledge - that definitely wasn't
> my first linux experience years ago. Things have really gone a long way.
>
> cheers,
> renato

If this new user already has Ubuntu installed then perhaps a better option
would be KX Studio, as it can be installed as an overlay to an existing
installation. That said, it's probably not the friendliest install. Not
that it's hard to do, but it involves a few more steps than normal. It
sounds like your friend might be up to the task, though.

Cheers,
Ernie