[LAU] Have some free music!

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 14:26:40 UTC 2012

2012/2/9 alexander <axeldenstore at gmail.com>

>> Hi Alex.
>>
>> I'm just listening to the downloaded album and I'm totally agree with the
>> other LAU folks, the album is really good: a tasty mix of Jazz,
>> experimentation and even a little progressive at times (ie the sound of the
>> Mellotron on track 5).
>> I think this won't be the last time I listen to it.
>>
>> So, you have already list the gear you used to record. BTW, very clean
>> and professional recording. I would like to know something about how was
>> the process to the final mix, given that you played it all and it seems in
>> different (maybe distant) points in time.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing.
>>
>> --
>> Carlos sanchiavedraz
>> * Musix GNU+Linux
>> http://www.musix.es
>>

> There's not really much to it actually.. I haven't put way too much time
> in the mixing/mastring process.. just the usual of getting things to fit
> compression, eq, and some automatation... In the stuka song I have only a
> h4n as overheads + kick and snare but no tom mics so the sound stands out
> alitle from the rest on that song.. I allways emphasize the 1100hz region
> on the uprightbass to give more of that buzzy sound, I'm using the 4-band
> parametric eq... I've been refence listening alot to The Bad Plus as this
> is the band that has inspired me the most lately.. I use the same panning
> idea they've got on most of their songs, eg bass and piano to the sides and
> the drums !everywhere! -_- It really separates things! I also make use of
> the ir-lv2 plug alot, mostly for room emulation and reverbs.. I record the
> drums in a bad sounding, boxy garage so I put the OH's quite close to the
> drums and use room emulation instead.. as for mastering I really just try
> to get the levels sort of the same with a limiter...

Sometimes I've thought about buying a Zoom H4n (or another similar) just
for the same goal: recording stereo overheads along with 1 mic for snare
and 1 for kick (3 mics technique). Now I know it works, and quite well as I
can see. BTW, very useful that tip of using room emulation with close
overheads.

Thanks for the extended info.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz