[LAU] Have some free music!

alexander axeldenstore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:43:25 UTC 2012

> Sometimes I've thought about buying a Zoom H4n (or another similar)
> just for the same goal: recording stereo overheads along with 1 mic
> for snare and 1 for kick (3 mics technique). Now I know it works, and
> quite well as I can see. BTW, very useful that tip of using room
> emulation with close overheads.
>
> Thanks for the extended info.
>
> --
> Carlos sanchiavedraz
> * Musix GNU+Linux
> http://www.musix.es

It works, it's a little bit clusmy.. And the pres/converters have
terrible dynamic range so if you play loud on the snare you'll clip it
at lowest gain, imo it's not really noticable tho.. it has some limiting
function but ifaik they're post ADC so they're not really usable as a
clipping safeguard. It's noise floor is also quite high so it's not
suitable for recording low SPL sounds in a quiet envoirment. You'll
easily get away with an acoustic guitar tho. Nonetheless, it's a handy
little device, comes with a hardcase and fits in a pocket..

Also I believe (at least the time I bought mine) the h4n was/is the only
device that has simultaneous 4 channel record function.. so if you look
into these things don't assume 4channels just because it has onboard
mics and 2mic inputs for external mics.