[LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 09:30:14 UTC 2012

>Interesting.  My answer is: none.  The microphone cable would go to a
>passive direct box (*) I got some time ago and the output of the box
>then goes into the M-Audio 1010LT card and fed to Ardour.  I do not see
>at the moment why there would be an external mixer in there.

At least you should prefer an external mixer because you want its preamps and if not, you should prefer a mic preamp IMHO if you are looking forward for a good sound.

regards
-r

Hi,

The 1010LT has 2 builtin _MIC_ preamps so you can plug your mic directly to one of them (XLR inputs in the not so convenient snake cable).

There is no point to have a DI in-between as mentioned before.

I used to have a 1010LT way back in 2006-7. I switched to RME HDSP + Multiface II and RME QuadMic for some rather transparent preamps (would have liked OctaMic but they are already very pricey) . Each QuadMic channel has phantom power and the amplification is quite neutral throughout the entire gain range (I have not tested maxed-out but up to 3/4). The connection is Neutrik IIRC, it can take both XLR and  TRS cables.

Anyway, I find the RME setup way better to my ears when compared to the 1010LT. But of course, if you want to keep your Delta card, then try to invest in a good mic preamp. The AD converters of the Delta should be good enough for a start. Preamps can shape your sound quite a lot depending on the type and brand. If you need something you can use sort of everywhere, opt for a neutral one. If you only use for acoustic (voice or guitar), then you may like a warmer option. I am not a pro or as knowledgeable as some of the folks around here but I am happy about my setup.

Ah yeah, I use an AKG C414  XLII for acoustic stuff (voice and guitar mainly), really nice. But for a more generic mic, the C414 XLS might be more appropriate (wish I could get a stereo pair one of these days). I do have a stereo pair of pen-like MICs (Apex 185) but I have hardly used them due to family duties (no time for music production for ~ 2 years, it hurts sometimes ...).

J.