[LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Sun Feb 12 21:11:50 UTC 2012

On 12 February 2012 at 14:26, jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

>   What would be a good microphone for recording both acoustic steel
> string guitar and acoustic bass guitar ?  In the $200-250 range.  I
> currently have a M-Audio Pulsar and am looking for a recording that
> has more of everything I hear from the instruments which does not
> currently gets in the recording. The recording sounds like a digital
> compressed version that doe snot have all the warmth and nuances heard
> in the room.  Would upgrading to a $200-250 microphone help ?   Or
> would any difference be made only with much more expensive
> microphones ?  I basically would like to record as much what my ears are
> getting when playing.

Gosh, with the steel string and the acoustic bass, you cover a
lot of microphone territory, maybe enough to try for two mics?
But, if you just want one, then I REALLY like my AKG Perception
400, which is right in your price range.  I've seen that it's
discontinued.  But, it also seems that there are new ones to be
bought.  This mic is a large diaphragm condenser type.

If you want a warmer bass sound, without getting muddy, then an
Audix D4 might be a good choice, as would be a D2.  I also have
these, and they're wonderful dynamic instrument mics.

Cheers....

--
Kevin