[LAU] list statistics needed

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jan 12 16:23:33 UTC 2012

On Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:52:20 AM david did opine:

> On 01/11/2012 11:36 AM, Folderol wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:51:57 -0500
> >
> > Dave Phillips<dlphillips at woh.rr.com>  wrote:

> >> Hey Gene,
> >>
> >> "The courage of early morning is the rarest courage of all."
> >>
> >> Ascribed to Napoleon Bonaparte. :)
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> dp
> >
> > What is this "early morning" you speak of? :D
>
> A global conspiracy on the part of the makers of alarm clocks & coffee
> pots? Clearly funded by Starbucks!
>
> Does finishing a show at 04:00, grabbing breakfast with the band, then
> going to bed after that count as "early morning"?

Having worked that 'shift' for some of my pre-retirement life, that isn't
early, its too damned late!  Specially when late gets on toward 2pm by the
time you find a bed.  You all know I am a bit of a character, so let me
elaborate.

I'm a tv engineer, and I was Chief & only engineer at a market 205 station,
aka only slightly higher up than a real mom & pop.

The tv transmitter, an old GE TF-4A on channel 12, is one that needs a
major final socket rebuild at about 2 year intervals, and that is about a
36 hour job as it wasn't really built to be quickly taken apart or put back
together.  I started at midnight, worked thru that day and until about 11-
ish the next day.  Without food.  Getting it back on the air, I hit
someplace to get a bite, then headed for the house to check out the back
bedroom for about 12 hours.  I had just drifted off when the front door
sounded like they were using a battering ram to knock on it.  August in NM,
so I was in my birthday suit.  I rolled over and scooped up my glasses &
picked up Bertha, my deer rifle.  Passing by a window on the way to the
door I saw that it was a J.W. couple, with an armload of Watchtowers.  That
did it, I jerked open the door and racked a shell into Bertha.  They were
off the stoop and 20 feet out by the time their feet hit the ground the
first time, Watchtowers blowing all over that patch of NM sand we called a
yard.

Word must have gotten around about the crazy man who lived there because I
lived there another year without ever having another Mormon or Witness
coming to the door, where before it was a weekly occurrence.  Somehow, even
the craziest moments have a useful ending.  ;-)

As for Bertha, a 30-06 Ackley-Imp, it has put quite a bit of venison in the
freezer since then and is about due for its 4th fresh barrel.  I think that
may happen when my eldest son gets it after I pass though, as its still
doing 1.5" groups.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's multiple choice time...

	What is FORTRAN?

	a: Between thre and fiv tran.
	b: What two computers engage in before they interface.
	c: Ridiculous.