[LAU] Q: educational websites/books on comp. audio/recording in general

Chris Metzler cmetzler at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 13 15:24:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:01:40 +0000
Alan Russell <ajrussellaudio at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is my first post to this list, and I'm trying to help rather than
> asking questions. This must be a first!

It's definitely a good way to start!

> By far the best book - the bible if you want - on working with digital
> audio is Mastering Audio by Bob Katz (1). It's written for mastering
> engineers, but the concepts it covers (and there's a lot of them!) are
> equally valid for mix engineers. It could do with a new edition,
> however, and the equipment it discusses is mostly way out of the
> budget of most home studio engineers.

Thanks!

> It also doesn't cover recording. To be honest, home studios setups
> are each so unique it would be pointless to write a general book on
> the subject. The manual for your interface and your DAW's
> documentation are your friends here.
>
> For general recording techniques, like how to point microphones at
> things, it's more just a matter of practise, listening, and
> experimenting. Don't blow money on a book for this, because it's all
> subjective.

I understand what you're saying; but there are still non-subjective
things to learn about (what this piece of equipment is, how it works,
how you use it, etc.) that I think I don't know.

I'm a guitarist.  I know how to play the guitar (in a mediocre fashion;
but that's a different conversation :) ).  Until very recently, I had
no idea what it was that the DI box the sound man made me plug into
actually did; and from reading about them on product/vendor websites,
I'm still not entirely sure I get it.  And so on.  You can, if you're
not careful, spend an insane amount of money on gear; and I don't want
to walk out of the store having spent a ton more money than I needed
because I didn't really know what I was doing.  Or do something like
hook a pro audio line level source to a consumer audio line level
input, or whatever.  And I'm just thinking that there has to be better,
more comprehensive surveys of this stuff than Home Recording for
Dummies or whatever.

Thanks!

-c

Chris Metzler			cmetzler at speakeasy.snip-me.net
		(remove "snip-me." to email)

"As a child I understood how to give; I have forgotten this grace since
I have become civilized." - Chief Luther Standing Bear