[LAU] Q: educational websites/books on comp. audio/recording in general

Alan Russell ajrussellaudio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:01:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

This is my first post to this list, and I'm trying to help rather than
asking questions. This must be a first!

By far the best book - the bible if you want - on working with digital
audio is Mastering Audio by Bob Katz (1). It's written for mastering
engineers, but the concepts it covers (and there's a lot of them!) are
equally valid for mix engineers. It could do with a new edition, however,
and the equipment it discusses is mostly way out of the budget of most home
studio engineers.

It also doesn't cover recording. To be honest, home studios setups are each
so unique it would be pointless to write a general book on the subject. The
manual for your interface and your DAW's documentation are your friends
here.

For general recording techniques, like how to point microphones at things,
it's more just a matter of practise, listening, and experimenting. Don't
blow money on a book for this, because it's all subjective. Eg, one book
will tell you to record an acoustic guitar by pointing a Fig-8 mic at the
12th fret, another one will tell you to point a cardioid behind the bridge
and a dynamic at the fretboard, etc, etc... Having said that, I would
recommend Joe Gilder's Home Studio Corner blog (2) and its archives, where
he covers a lot of this stuff.

If you don't understand what "Fig-8" and "cardioid" means (I'm assuming
nothing here), they're mic polar patterns. I learned that kind of stuff
from the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook (3) but I wouldn't recommend
it. It's for live engineers, and it's very dry. More of a manual, not fun
to read. That kind of technical stuff I'm sure would be covered on Google,
probably even on mic manufacturers' websites.

The Master Handbook of Acoustics recommended previously is very dry as
well. I'm the kind of audio nerd who enjoys that sort of thing, and every
time I dip into it I find something new and fascinating, but it is very,
very technical, even math-heavy in places. You have been warned.

(1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Audio-Science-Bob-Katz/dp/0240808371/
(2) http://www.homestudiocorner.com/
(3)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008/