[LAU] bitwig announcement

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 17:38:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM, James Morris wrote:

> The original point I failed to make was that now - when we have
> proprietary software coming to Linux - would seem to me to be an
> opportunity generate greater awareness of the issues surrounding
> free/non-free software. I could I suppose also say I don't care if
> people use free or non-free software - so long as I still have the
> option to use free software. But for how long will that be an option
> when mainstream hardware vendors are moving more and more toward the
> passive consumer market? That is my fear and why it angers me to hear
> that I should not care about software freedom.

Dear James,

As far as I can tell noone's telling you to stop caring about software
freedom. So what's actually happening is that you are are fighting
against an imaginary enemy. I appreciate the vast amount of lolz you
provide while doing it, but seriously, where's the sense in that?

If I didn't think that free software as development model can be
successful, I wouldn't be spending up to 30h weekly on various free
software related activities, including (but not limited to) promoting
and improving it.

So, once again, the community can do a much better job at creating
kickass state of the art software that appeals to people, if it gets
organized and, above all, is confident that it is able to create
competing products. Because, you see, James, fear comes from doubt and
lack of confidence.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org