[LAU] bitwig announcement

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 17 08:57:36 UTC 2012

On 01/15/2012 10:48 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>   to drop my 2 cents into the jar of discussion, I personally see more
> proprietary apps arriving, but see it in a more positive light.
> First of all, as a libertarian anarchist, I do believe that people might
> choose to write proprietary software and to choose proprietary
> software. Proprietary software is such a problem only and only because
> modern computing world basically forces it on people.
>
> If we have some proprietary apps arriving to the fundamentally free
> platform which is GNU/Linux, this will be a choice situation.
> Yes, proprietary apps may have more features, but not necessarily. Yes,
> if Adobe starts doing Photoshop for Linux, it is possible
> GIMP will not be as prominent on Linux.

If Adobe did Photoshop for Linux, I predict it wouldn't effect GIMP at all.

Photoshop has an arcane UI, refined to match the expectations of graphic
artists who've been using Adobe products for ages now. The Adobe UI is
NOT user friendly!

Adobe graphic design products are also not CHEAP. Their target market is
the professional graphics designer, working in places where putting out
a couple of thousand dollars for their tools is nothing compared to the
income they make from it.

And, finally, most pro graphic designers use Macs. Not Windows, not
Linux. They like the Mac UI's attention to visual detail and
consistency. They like how Apple treats art and graphics people, (vs
Windows which basically ignores them, and Linux which thinks that every
user is or should also be a programmer, fluent with the command line,
etc.) IMHO, Microsoft ignores graphic designers because in repeated
(not-well-done efforts) they've been unable to crack the market. Other
competitors with much stronger Windows graphics products than MS have
barely been able to survive, let alone grow (CorelDraw, Xara).

Anyway, I use a closed-source, proprietary product, Bibble 5, for my RAW
photo processing. It has Linux, Mac and Windows versions. Very highly
regarded in its field. Corel just bought the company; the Mac and Linux
development will remain in BibbleSoft's Texas HQ, the Windows version
will move to Corel's HQ. Considering what Corel did with its other Linux
products (killed them), I may have to find a replacement for it. And the
other RAW processing software on Linux just is not feature competitive.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community