[LAU] bitwig announcement

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:09:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM, david wrote:

> And, finally, most pro graphic designers use Macs.

I'm afraid you had spent quite a while under a shower of marketing
bullshit before you posted that :) This is absolutely not true.
Perhaps you are thinking in terms of western market, and even then --
a special group of it.

Apple indeed made some nice decisions oriented towards pro designers
and prepress engineers (e.g. ColorSync), but even then they got some
things terribly wrong (which has a lot to do with infancy of color
management per se).

> programmer, fluent with the command line, etc.) IMHO, Microsoft ignores
> graphic designers because in repeated (not-well-done efforts) they've been
> unable to crack the market. Other competitors with much stronger Windows
> graphics products than MS have barely been able to survive, let alone grow
> (CorelDraw, Xara).

Corel quitted the Mac market, because they weren't able to justify
development with sales. Which, I'm sure, you are fully aware of.

> move to Corel's HQ. Considering what Corel did with its other Linux products
> (killed them), I may have to find a replacement for it. And the other RAW
> processing software on Linux just is not feature competitive.

Make sure you've had a look at darktable ;)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org