[LAU] bitwig announcement

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 20 19:38:07 UTC 2012

On Friday, January 20, 2012 02:16:14 PM david did opine:

> On 01/20/2012 07:03 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Friday, January 20, 2012 11:17:28 AM Rustom Mody did opine:
> >> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine<
> >
> > [...]
> > :
> > :-)
> > :
> >
> > Nope, its good that there is a plethora of ways to approach audio on a
> > linux system.

> >> Some may like to see this:
> >> http://apcmag.com/linux-now-75-corporate.htm
> >> [And some may not :-) ]
[...]
> > Heck, at the tv station where I was the CE for nearly 20 years, a
> > stock 1200 and a Supergen (genlock kit) did all of our station ID
> > graphics for nearly 10 years.  Only taken down when we converted to
> > digital.
>
> The Video Toaster?

Not on that machine, but we did have 2 of those.  We at one time had 6 of
the amiga's, one of which was the server machine for the news pages on our
web site, running software I wrote in arrex to pull the stories from the
news depts AP server and format them into acceptable html you could read
online 5 minutes after the newscast itself opened.  I think we were first
in the country to do that.  CBS at first didn't like that, but soon saw
that it was going to be the way things were and ceased the thinly veiled
legal threats.

The toasters were not terribly dependable though, they had a habit of
blowing an internal supply trace & they always came back from NewTek with
jumper wires from an exposed via to another to bypass the blown trace.
Suffice to say they were power hungry & ran hotter than was good for them.

I actually have the only a4k we had that had both a toaster, a Kitchen Sync
and a 68060 cpu in it with 16 megs of ram.  But in the digital changeover,
its psu, a pc type I had cobbled up externally because the psu had failed
and its space wound up being occupied by 2 more hard drives and a big
honking fan, and somewhere in the rampage the books and the psu
disappeared.  If I could locate another A4k manual with schematics I could
reinvent that wheel again, but I'd have to jury rig a vga convertor on it
now since there are no ntsc speed monitors left in the wild today.  FWIW,
the convertor is being made by lots of folks in the video game business,
they put a nice shiny lcd monitor in the box with their 25 year old shoot-
em-up & its a brand new cash cow.  The board, from Jammesoft IIRC, sells
for about a 50 dollar bill.  I have a spare because I used one on my TRS-80
Color Computer 3 for about a year until one of the guys on the coco list
built an even better one.
[...]
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
No small art is it to sleep: it is necessary for that purpose to keep
awake all day.
		-- Nietzsche