[LAU] New music

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Wed Jan 25 18:20:33 UTC 2012

onsdagen den 25 januari 2012 09.18.10 skrev  Gerald Mwangi:
> > *The snare drum is to load, you better lover it and add  3-6 dB
> >
> >   somewhere around 600 - 700 Hz (more of the ringing body).
> >   And give it a little bit reverb (careful) too.
>
> That's what I've heard elsewhere. This is the first time I mixed drums,
> and I sat there for days and fiddling around.
> Our drummers opinion was that the snare shouldn't ring to much, since
he
> likes it tight. I think a bit of ring is good so I'll try out your tip.

One important mixing rule is: Forget about personal preferences when it
comes
to how a single instrument sounds. It's the whole that matters and the
snare
should probably be heard thanks to the sound, not the volume.

> > *Give the kick more deep end and accentuate the click. Give
> >
> >   the bass more low mid (and the kick lesser on the same place).
> >   You might also want more fret sound (more mid+) from the
> >   bass, that will probably improve the overall sound. Right now,
> >   hard kicks are destroying the bass some places.
>
> Which freq range do you mean by low mid?

Around 200-300 Hz

> > *Use an (or more) HPF for the organ.
>
> Does it have to much bass? Which center freq?

You might want to cut it around 300 Hz (with 12dB/oct). I really can't
tell
without hearing and testing by my self. Synths and organs can go down to
the
deepest sub bass area, but that frequencies are not useful for any
instrument
(except bass/kick) in this kind of music.

> > *Toms? More body, more attack, more HPF.
>
> Here again our drummers  opinion, but I'll use your tip. Again center
> freq of HPF? And Range since the body of the toms goes down to 300-400
> Hz ?

Depends very much of the toms, bass and kick. Just select a point on the
song where the toms in question are in use and drag the HPF until you
hear it starts working and then back it a little bit. Then if it's
interfering with the bass/kick or another tom, then go higher with the
HPF. Just trust your ears. If you don't have big monitors, then it might
be good to use a good pair of head phones for this.

> > In a nut shell: Make space in the lower mids to much happens there,
> > lower
> > your snare amplitude but let it's personality be clearer. More defined
> > mid in the bass, lesser deep bass. Deeper and clickier kick. Broader
> > stereo image. Edit away timing problems and out of tune issues.
Let's
> > hope that no new bad things shows up after that
>
> I was trying to get it sound like chili peppers Dani California, of
> which I have the impression that it's loud in the mids.
> But I think you're right. Do you have a reference song I could listen
> to?

I guess that Red Hot Chili Peppers is a fine reference, because Flea has
this dirty bass which cut thru the mix and Chad Smith's snare have this
ringing sound. A lot of Level 42's music will probably also help you (ie.
Running In the Family), no ringing drums but they sounds really great.

> > It sounds like the recordings itself are good, and as I said: The
song
> > itself is great.  I consider my self as a fan of your music and I'm
> > looking forward to hear more.
>
> I feel delighted, thanx. We have more to show in the coming weeks, once
> this mix is ready I'll use it as a template.
> Thank you a lot for the detailed tips, I'll try to deploy them.

You should treat this detailed tips with very big skepticism. Anything
you do will probably impact on anything and I no idea how any single
track of yours sound like.

I always trust my ears and seldom thinks in Hz when mixing: I usually
starts with by using an HPF and some EQing and compressing when required
on every track (the order is drums, bass, guitars, keys, vox). For HPF,
turn it upwards  until I hear the change and then I back it slightly.
When I start to mix every track, than I adjust filters and FX as needed.

I think I have a quite common approach. Others just start mixing and then
use filers and other stuff.

Good luck.

Jostein