[LAU] New music

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 18:33:52 UTC 2012

On 01/25/2012 01:20 PM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

>> That's what I've heard elsewhere. This is the first time I mixed drums,
>> and I sat there for days and fiddling around.
>> Our drummers opinion was that the snare shouldn't ring to much, since
> he
>> likes it tight. I think a bit of ring is good so I'll try out your tip.
> One important mixing rule is: Forget about personal preferences when it
> comes
> to how a single instrument sounds. It's the whole that matters and the
> snare
> should probably be heard thanks to the sound, not the volume.

I've got to second this.  Once you get a mix near the final stages, you
might find that if you solo individual instruments, they end up sounding
nothing like what you would normally prefer.

It's also almost always a really bad idea to listen to the drummer's
opinion of what his drums should sound like or where they should sit in
a mix.  For one thing, he's the ONLY person who has no idea what his
drums sound like, since he's the only one who sits behind them.  There
is no possible way for him to know what HIS drums sound like while HE is
playing them.  He has a very distorted view of what they really sound like.

(Here's another of my tracks.  This one is with my band:

http://soundcloud.com/althompson-indy/4-walls )

--
---

  http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]