[LAU] OT: Chord finder

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jul 17 12:21:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 14:10 +0200, Funs Seelen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 13:15 +0200, Funs Seelen wrote:
> >> The word "circle" suggests the B# and C
> >> to be equal.
> >
> > Well, draw a circle with a pair of compasses and than take a look how
> > circular it is, watching it by a SEM.
> >

> Well, what I meant is that it is more like an endless rope that has
> endless overlaps, an endless spiral. How tight it is, or better, where
> the overlaps are located exactly depends on the temperament. You could
> see it as a circle when a piano with 12 keys or a guitar with 12 frets
> per octave is your only reference.

Hehe, I'm a guitarist. How many guitars do you know that are completely
clean to the octave, 0 and 12 fret, while the temperament is as wanted
for anything between fret 0 and 12?

> > While I'm aware that my statements against theory are stupid, there's a
> > funny side that ships with theory.
> >

> I understand, but I feel the need to emphasize the value of music
> theory when people are quoting something like music is just about
> expressing emotion and theory is useless or unnecessary, because I
> think that expressing yourself by using a system without having any
> knowledge of that system doesn't make much sense. Then why use a
> system anyway?

Apologize!

> > I bet we easily could jam without playing bad notes

Aaaargh! I had a Déjà-vu and I don't like to get this feeling :S.

>  and without sharing
> > any information about notes and harmony before doing this, just because
> > of our experiences.
>
> Yes, I did this for several years, but understanding the theory behind
> it opened my eyes.

It could be a help, I agree, while I don't have much knowledge myself.

> > But if we would talk about harmonies, we might
> > understand what the tonic is, but in the end we would sound like idiots
> > treated by Orff music therapy, or we will metamorphose to
> > http://www.seknews.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/lehrer-lions.jpg
> >

> Where did you get my family picture? :p

Sorry, here in the madhouse we only have limited access to the Internet,
we're only allowed to face people with similar handicaps :p as we've
got.